This condensed Policy applies to personal and sensitive information collected by VERSE GROUP. We collect, store and disclose personal and sensitive information from job seekers, clients and suppliers in line with these principals. We only collect personal and sensitive information which is reasonably necessary for one or more of our functions or activities. Personal information is broadly defined in the Privacy Act as information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
- Whether the information or opinion is true or not
- Whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material
form or not
The Privacy Act 1988 includes a subset of personal information called ‘sensitive information’ to which higher privacy standards apply. Higher standards apply because inappropriate handling of this kind of information can have adverse consequences for the individual concerned. In some circumstances, VERSE GROUP may collect and hold sensitive information. Sensitive information is defined as information or an opinion about an individual’s:
- Racial or ethnic origin
- Political opinions
- Membership of a political association
- Religious beliefs or affiliations
- Philosophical beliefs
- Membership of a professional or trade association
- Membership of a trade union
- Sexual orientation or practices
- Criminal record
- Health information about an individual
- Genetic information or biometric information and
Subject to the guidelines set out in APP 3, we collect personal information by lawful and fair means. Personal information may be collected from you directly when you submit one of our registration forms or any other information in connection with your application for employment or engagement with VERSE GROUP. Personal information that we collect
falls into the following categories:
- Personal contact details
- Company contact details
- Individual contact details – telephone, email etc
- Employment history
- Work performance information, i.e. reference checks
- Educational qualifications
- Australian work rights or Visa credentials
- Personal identification credentials – drivers licence, passport
- Information about incidents in the workplace
- Information in relation to absences from work due to leave,
illness or other causes
- Information obtained to assist in managing client and business
- Payroll details of all working Candidates
- Bank account details
- Credit check information
- WorkCover WIC code related information
We disclose personal information for a purpose for which it was collected (known as the ‘primary purpose). We may also disclose personal information for a secondary purpose if a permitted situation applies. Subject to the guidelines set out in APP 6, we disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- Recruitment activities
- On-hire worker management
- Client and business relationship management
- Providing candidate details to prospective employers
- Payroll, Taxation and Superannuation
- Training and development activities
We disclose personal information where we are under a legal duty to do so, including circumstances where we are under a lawful duty of care to disclose such information. We disclose your personal information to;
- Our insurers
- A professional association or registration body that has a
proper interest in the disclosure of your personal and sensitive information
- A Workers Compensation body
- Any government department or body
- Any person with a lawful entitlement to obtain the information
VERSE GROUP does not disclose personal information to overseas recipients.
Direct marketing involves the use and/or disclosure of personal information to communicate directly with an individual to promote goods and services. VERSE GROUP may communicate with an individual through a variety of channels, including telephone, SMS, mail, email and online advertising.
In accordance with APP 7, VERSE GROUP may from time to time collect and use personal information for the purpose of direct marketing activities. VERSE GROUP will ensure personal information has been collected directly from an individual, and the individual reasonably expects their personal information to be used for the purpose of direct marketing. VERSE GROUP will provide a simple means by which an individual can request not to receive direct marketing communications (also known as ‘opting out’).
Subject to the guidelines set out in APP 12 you can access your personal information that we hold. Access may be declined if it would interfere with the privacy of other persons or if it breaches any confidentiality that attaches to that information. If you wish to obtain access to your personal information you should contact our Privacy Coordinator. You will need to be in a position to verify your identity.
The personal information we collect is held in electronic and hard copy format. We take steps to protect the personal information we hold against loss, unauthorised access, use, modification, unauthorised disclosure, and against other misuse. When the personal information that we collect is no longer required, we destroy or delete it in a secure manner.
Subject to the guidelines set out in APP 13, VERSE GROUP takes all reasonable steps to ensure personal information is correct, is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading, having regard to the purpose for which it is held.
Phil Jones, Privacy Coordinator.
Phone: 08 9325 7788
You can also make complaints to the Office
of the Federal Privacy Commissioner.